I always find these text games to be fun. You will for sure find an audience that enjoys these type of games. You should make it longer and more challenging. Awesome start.
The Cave of Magic (TALP)
Learn how to play text adventure games with this interactive tutorial game.
You are "The Adventurer" and for some reason, you really want to get into the cave of magic.
There is a problem however ..... a troll is outside the cave and won't let you pass.
Learn to code this game (in about an hour) with the tutorial here.
8-bit releases at bottom of page. Amstrad PCW & ZX Spectrum.
To win the game, gain access to the cave of magic.
Text Adventure Literacy Project games must include a step by step tutorial to teach younger players how to play text-command based games (such as text adventure games or parser based interactive fiction).
The player must actively use the keyboard and type commands to play the game, and the game itself can be completed in less than 5 minutes.
- Click the screen or press ENTER on the keyboard to progress when you see a blinking icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Type VERB NOUN commands with the keyboard or phone keyboard to tell the game what to do.
- To take a closer look at an object type LOOK XXXX (where XXXX is the name of the thing you want to look at).
- To travel around the game, type compass directions, such as NORTH, SOUTH, EAST and WEST.
- To look at your possessions, type INVENTORY, I, or POCKETS.
- To take something type GET XXXX or TAKE XXXX (where XXXX is the name of the thing you want to take).
- Type QUIT to restart the game
- If you want the TALP tutorial, select option 1 when prompted.
- Game & Tutorial designed by Chris Ainsley.
- This version features graphics by Ricardo Oyón (128 x 40 pixels).
- Font Used - Clairsys 10 by Paul Van Der Laan.
- This game was written using Adventuron Classroom (editor requires a laptop or desktop computer).
Relationship to The Cave of Magic DX
The TALP version of the cave of magic replaces "The Cave of Magic DX", which is the same game, but without tutorial elements.
Adventuron Gamejam 2019
The Cave of Magic was used as a template for a remix competition in August 2019.
In this gamejam, entrants were invited to use the existing game as a template for a larger game.
There were 11 submissions, which are listed here:
Screenshots of some of the jam entries:
Making Of Video
The Cave of Magic was coded using Adventuron Classroom.
Do check out how the game was put together in the video, and follow @LearnAdventuron on Twitter to learn about upcoming gamejams.
If you like this game, be sure to check out Excalibur (TALP), another text adventure (with graphics) aimed at absolute newcomers to text adventure (parser based) text adventures.