TWO is a treasure-hunt style TEXT ADVENTURE game in which every location description, object description, incidental message & response message consists of a maximum of TWO words. #twogame
It is also a (very) loose sequel to CAVE OF MAGIC.
TWO was written using ADVENTURON CLASSROOM, an online text adventure authoring system (desktop browser required).
IMPORTANT : CLUES FOR ALL PUZZLES AT BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE, and solution diagram is available to download too (heavy spoilers)..
If you like this game PLEASE RATE and SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA ( Twitter: @LearnAdventuron ) . It really helps to get the word out.
How To Play
- Find 10 Treasures.
- Deposit All Treasures In Treasure Room To Win.
- Score At Top Of Screen Shows Treasures Deposited In Treasure Room So Far.
- INVENTORY ... shows you what you are carrying.
- N,E,S,W,U,D ... compass direction + up / down, for moving in the environment.
- EXAMINE OBJECTNAME ... examines the object named.
- LOOK ... redescribes the current location
- VERB NOUN ... Use your own verb noun combinations to interact with the game world.
- Developed Using Adventuron Classroom.
- Optimized for Desktop, Tablet, And Mobile Platforms.
- Fast Response.
- 10 Treasures To Find.
- Multiple Puzzles.
- Minimal Text For Ease Of Reading.
- No Graphics.
- No Story At All.
- VERB NOUN commands only.
- Autosave (revisits to this page will resume game).
- Manual LOAD / SAVE command support.
- Death As A Game Mechanic (with Rollback on Death Feature).
- Authentic Retro-Sounding Bleeping Sounds.
- Limited Interactive Help System (Approx 50% of Game).
Should not be super difficult, or particularly long. The game does feature anachronistic death so do save regularly.
This game features no graphics. The purpose is to minimise clutter, especially on mobile, and to focus the player on the scenario.
This game features an autosave feature and you can also type SAVE and LOAD for manual saving into save slots slots.
Notch Mitigation (Mobile)
Type MT 20 to offset the top of the screen by 20 scaled pixels, change the number up or down as required.
Text Size Adjustment (Mobile)
Type COLUMNS 20 for a 20 column display, or COLUMN 30 for a 30 column display.
This game features death as a mechanic, but an undo mechanism is provided to go back to a point in the game before the death occurred.
It is extremely unlikely you will finish the game without dying at least once. One death in the game is very mean indeed, but death is a good way to build a bit of tension and working out why a death occurred and how to avoid it is part of the fun.
Save regularly, and if you forgot to save, then you have a choice to "ROLLBACK" after a death (type Y or YES a the ROLLBACK? prompt).
"I see more than two words on the screen."
Here are the quite arbitrary rules:
- Every location has a maximum of two words description.
- Every object has a maximum of two words description (multiple objects may be listed in a location).
- Every response message is a maximum of two words.
- The intro text is a maximum of two words.
- The game over text is a maximum of two words.
- Items in lists have their own two word allocations (such as directions, objects).
"Why not 1 word?"
Tested, but one word wasn't fun.
In my personal opinion, I think that TWO is the minimum amount where a fun (parser based) game can be made.
Is It Interactive Fiction?
No, it is not interactive fiction - it is a puzzle-box text adventure game, without a story.
- Written by Chris Ainsley, using Adventuron Classroom.
- This game uses the DAAD font (public domain).
- Thanks to Gareth Pitchford for playtesting.
First Release - 23rd November 2019.
All answers are Base 64 encoded to avoid spoiling the entirety of the game accidentally.
This site is useful for base 64 decoding : https://www.base64decode.org
- LADDER -> RFJPUCBMQURERVIgKEFUIExBS0VTSURFKQ==
- DOG -> R0lWRSBCQU5BTkEgKEJBTkFOQSBJTiBCQVJOKSAtIFRPIEJFRlJJRU5E
- LOG -> TUFLRSBCT0FUIChXSVRIIEFYRSk=
- BOULDER -> Q0FTVCBTUEVMTCAoV0lUSCBXQU5EKQ==
- KNIFE -> U0hBUlBFTiBLTklGRSAoV0hFTiBBVCBCT1VMREVSIE9SIFNUT05FIExPQ0FUSU9OUyk=
- ISLAND -> IChPTiBJU0xBTkQpIFBMQUNFIEFQUExFICwgRVhBTUlORSBTVEFUVUUsIEVYQU1JTkUgSEFORCwgR0VUIFdBTkQ=
- FOREST PATH -> IEVYQU1JTkUgVFJFRVMgKFRPIFNIT1cgVklORVMp
- VINES -> Q1VUIFZJTkVTIFdJVEggIEtOSUZFIChBRlRFUiBTSEFSUEVOSU5HKQ==
- BIRD/MAGPIE ATTACK -> TUFLRSBTVVJFIFlPVSBMRUFWRSBPTkUgSVRFTSBJTiBMT0NBVElPTiBUTyBBVk9JRA==
- CAT ATTACK -> UEVUIERPRyBUTyBNQUtFIERPRyBGT0xMT1cgWU9VIE9ORSBUVVJOLCBMRUFEIERPRyBUTyBDQVQu
- JESTER ATTACK -> QkUgV0VBUklORyBDSEFJTk1BSUwgVE8gU1RPUCBJTlNUQU5UIERFQVRILCBBVFRBQ0sgSkVTVEVSIChXSElMU1QgQ0FSUllJTkcgU1dPUkQpLgo=
- FIBRE ->TUFLRSBST1BFIChJTiBMT09NIFJPT00p
- WELL -> VElFIFJPUEUgKEFGVEVSIFdFQVZJTkcgUk9QRSk=
- DARK ROOM -> QkUgQ0FSUllJTkcgTEFNUC4K
- GUARD -> VElDS0xFIEdVQVJELCBURUxMIEpPS0UsIE9SIFRIUk9XIEZMT1VSLg==
- RIDDLE MAN -> U0FZIEdBUkxJQy4=
- SPOON-> Tk9UIFVTRUZVTCAoUkVEIEhFUlJJTkcpCg==
- ECHO CHAMBER -> U0FZIEVDSE8u
- WIZARD -> R0lWRSBXQU5ELg==
- FLOUR -> R0lWRSBUTyBHVUFSRCAoT1BUSU9OQUwp
- ALTAR -> UExBQ0UgQVBQTEU=
- AXE -> R0VUIEVHR1MgKEZST00gTkVTVCksIFNFTEwgRUdHUywgR0VUIENPSU4sIEJVWSBBWEUK
- SWORD IN STONE -> V0VBUiBDUk9XTiwgUFVMTCBTV09SRC4=
- GARLIC -> UkVEIEhFUlJJTkc=
- NUMBERS PUZZLE -> U0FZIDEgb3IgOSBpbiB0aGUgUkVELCBHUkVFTiwgQkxVRSByb29tcyAoQ0FSUllJTkcgTEFNUCBUTyBSRVZFQUwgVEhFTSksIEZPUk1VTEEgSVMgKDEwMDAgWCBOVU0tVFJFQVNVUkVTLUlOLVRSRUFTVVJFLVJPT00pICsgKFJFRCBYIDIwMCkgKyAoR1JFRU4gKiAgNSkgKyBCTFVFIC4uIEFGVEVSIFNFVFRJTkcgTlVNQkVSUyBQUkVTUyBCVVRUT04gSU4gQVJNT1VSWS4=
- FINAL TREASURE -> U0VMTCBBWEUgQkFDSyBUTyBTSE9QS0VFUEVSIFRPIFJFVFJFSVZFIEZJTkFMIENPSU4u
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.